Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Healing of Painful Memories


Healing is a Tender Mercy

 
And with his stripes we are healed. --Isaiah 53:5

You don't have to live this way anymore. God has a remedy for your pain.

HEALING comes in increments through watershed moments. Healing often starts with the wistful desire that says, I don’t want to live like this anymore. There is a pressing need for healing for those who have suffered broken relationships or divorce.

Painful memories are an unwelcome burden that keeps on giving. We think we are doing fairly well until an upset reduces us to tears or angst, again, and quickly plunges the thoughts back into a cesspool of injured emotions What to do?

Pain can be submerged for years. I was a master at it. I knew something wasn’t quite right, but I did not know what it was. I was working faithfully in my church and at keeping my marriage together. Though there had been some major upsets, I carried on like a brave soul. Then the bottom dropped out. I lost my job and my mate in the same week. The trauma affected my children and me.

A rough year ensued. I sought God with great intention. In time I figured it out—what was wrong with me and why I never was happy. The problem wasn't too surprising, once I could see it. The problem was, I never knew what to do with the pain that was in me. My calm religious bearing had hidden the residual pain in ways I'd not realized. I thought I had been doing all the right things because I was faithful to God.

God’s Word spoke. I listened and journaled. I prayed and meditated. I specifically asked God to heal me in my emotions. Then I waited.

One day I was praying as I walked. A memory played in my thoughts. It was of the first time I was told that I wasn’t loved by my mate, some twenty years before. I asked God, “Is this one of the memories You want to heal?” Tears ran down my cheeks. The pain still lived. The feelings returned of not being wanted or loved.

An answering thought came immediately, "By my stripes you are healed." I pictured Christ on the cross bearing my pain, hurting when I hurt, suffering when I suffered. Christ entered into my sufferings. His presence was real. I thanked and praised Him.. Days later I noticed something different in me. Something was absent. Then I knew what it was. My inner sorrowing was completely gone. I no longer felt like weeping. God had answered my prayer.

I wish this tender mercy of God to heal your damaged emotions. I know it is possible. 
Dear Father God, for my many sisters and brothers who suffer in silence, I ask you to touch their wounded souls and give them peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment