Friday, April 12, 2019

The Need to be Kind -- Part 1 of 2

The Need for Kindness

I reckon there are three things in life that are important.
The first is to be kind.
The second is to be kind.
The third is to be kind.
      -Leanin’ Tree

THE CLASS THAT YEAR was a combination Second/Third split. The students were a mix of low achievers, poor behavior, children at risk, selective mutism, a few too shy to respond at all, and so forth. I knew it would be hard, but I would give it my best. I was determined to bring my class up to speed and make it sing. Their struggles, day in and day out, challenged my best efforts. The classroom dynamics made it difficult to meet the daily educational objectives.

With great intention, I instituted several ‘extras’ to help us bond as a group. The hyperactive student learned to self-monitor his behavior and would move himself to a special desk next to my desk whenever he was distracted or was the one causing distraction. He became efficient at this without me intervening. He’d smile at me and I’d smile back when it was time for him to resituate himself. He liked monitoring his own behavior and its calming effects.

The students needed a sense of being a part of a whole. Acts of kindness were written on slips of paper anonymously and put in a slotted box to be read on Fridays by me. I made sure I participated. Students were asking teachers and aides if they could help them. The playground never looked better. They kept it litter free. They loved this.

I wanted my students to feel appreciated and good about themselves. To accomplish this, we would have to get to know each other better. Every morning after the flag salute, one student in our class was featured in the spotlight. They were given an uninterrupted opportunity to talk about their likes, dislikes, and interests in front of the class, one per day. No one was allowed to snicker or be rude. Shy children were encouraged through prompts from me. This was done every day throughout the school year.

Most of all, my students learned to be kind and respectful. They could take this skill with them through life. The importance of being kind is worth teaching. If everyone would put a kindness factor in place, to be kind to others regardless, we could change the world. Bullying and abuse would lose their power and control. Kindness is a right attitude that takes the time to be patient with others even when they irritate us or may not deserve it..

Kindness is a virtue. I was so pleased with their interactions with each other and with staff. What a blessing became ours. It took some doing but it was worth it.

A few years later, I saw one of these students, now a tall grown young man. He greeted me first and with a smile, and he asked how I was doing. I was glad to see him again. He blessed me with his friendliness and genuine interest.


No comments:

Post a Comment