Thursday, October 31, 2013

A Halloween Sugar Pumpkin

A tiny little sugar pumpkin sat in the bin. "Oh my, is anyone going to pick me? Tomorrow is Halloween!" A nice lady came over. She was looking at all the little sugar pumpkins. Holding them up and looking at their shapes. And then she reached down and lifted me up then twisting me this way and that.

"My, my. You're a nice little pumpkin. I think you're just perfect." And, that's how I got to go home with her.
She cut me a top and then cleaned out my insides. The lady told me she was going to make me into a personality. My face began to take shape once she finished my eyes. She whispered to me, "You need to have a smile." It took a bit of time and hurt a little but soon I looked real cool. She lit a white taper candle and dripped some wax inside of me and pressed a candle into the warm wax. "Now, let's see how you look." She put my top on, re-lit the candle. This time we both smiled. She at me and me at her.

"But, we're not done yet. You'll see why I wanted a nice shaped pumpkin on both sides." The lady began to carve again. Soon I had a cross-shape on the back side of me. Now, for a heart. "The cross wouldn't be finished without a heart of love. The Father gave His son for all of us because of His great love. That's why you have a cross. The candle is like the light of God shining out from within you, my sweet little pumpkin. I want everyone to know that Jesus gives us light and love. Everyone who looks at you will notice your cross."

I felt all snuggly inside when she said that to me. 



We went to church that night and she talked about me with the children. They liked it when she lit my candle. I glowed right nicely for them.

Tonight is my grand performance. I get to shine when the the trick-or-treaters come to the lady's house. I can't wait to see all their fancy costumes. I think they will be surprised when they see my cross.

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine." That's what I like to sing (when nobody is looking at me).

#pumpkin, #Halloween #jack-o-lantern

No comments:

Post a Comment