Monday, July 6, 2020

WHEN OPPORTUNITY KNOCKS





Open the door when opportunity knocks.

Opportunities diversify. A few opportunities do you well. Some mess you up. It helps to be discerning when it comes to unproven opportunities. Sometimes, though, the door swings wide open.

You have been praying, seeking and trusting God for it, but you’re cautious. You don’t always know when the opportunity is right. You wait. Then boom! You know this one is absolutely right.

How blessed it is when opportunity knocks and you know God is in it. That happens every so often. You don’t always have time to think about it. You have to act, and you have to act right now.

I made a lower offer on a house and the owners wouldn’t budge. I made an offer on a second house and then withdrew it. The house was in a flood zone. And a third house. It was misrepresented. I had never owned a home, had always wished to, had never had the stability. And the dream died. It wasn't working for me.

I stopped making offers. Three years later, now retired from teaching, I am praying while I take my daily walk when I sense God telling me “It’s time” to re-enter the house market. Days later I tell my mother. The next Sunday, guess what?

A church friend tells my mother that she plans to put her house on the market in a couple of months. My mother calls me about the house. She bubbles with excitement. I am curious but cautious.I check out the neighborhood. Modest and quiet. Maybe?

Mother calls the lady. That very same day, a couple hours later, we go to see the house.  My agent, my mother, and I take a walk-through. The house looks like we were expected. It is in pristine condition. The design, what I’m looking for. The owner, gracious.

We tour the house. The house is perfect for my needs. It even has an extra bedroom--an office for my writing. Yes, yes, yes! The three of us step outside. My agent asks what I think. “I love it,” I say. The house is perfect for my needs. Not too big and not too small.

 I'm getting hopeful.

My agent says, “Look up, Norma.” An enormous rainbow arcs the sky above us

As I write this I am in the office of that house.


No comments:

Post a Comment