Friday, November 8, 2019

REMEMBERING THE CAMP FIRE

My friend took this photo as they were escaping Paradise that fateful day.

Today marks the one year anniversary of the Paradise Camp Fire; a day I'll never forget. Dad and I looked out his kitchen window in Capay at 8:30 am and saw a huge black plume rising in the eastern sky. It looked ominous.

We turned on the TV news. No way! Unthinkable. But it was true. Paradise was burning.

Later in the day I drove from my father's home across the Sacramento River to Chico (just west of Paradise) to get my computer, pictures, important papers, and run a medical errand for my dad. The atmosphere was truly eerie and scary, like something apocalyptic.

Long lines at the gas pumps; cars literally bumper to bumper coming down the hill from Forest Ranch; fire trucks rolling through town, everywhere; 15 EMT units parked in a row by the Twin Oaks care facility with more joining by the minute, darkness everywhere; I watched a plane fly into the black cloud and prayed for those manning it; I saw traffic crawling at 3 mph heading west out of town on hwy 32; I worried about my daughter's safety, friends' safety, Chico's safety...

As the day unfolded on into the evening, the news media carried the stories, unveiling their horror. We were hearing the terrible terrifying stories of people escaping through the inferno with fire blazing on every side; evacuating the hospital and schools; cars full of children wondering if it was their day to meet Jesus; and the elderly being assisted, unable to manage on their own.

A town wiped out in a day by unstoppable winds and a greedy all-consuming fire. Unbelievable.

For the next few months the town of Chico became a center for the misplaced. The local community and neighboring communities came together to help. Donations came in from everywhere.

But the trauma left its mark on those impacted by the experience and loss. I, also, do not feel as secure as I used to. Redding, then Paradise, too close, too devastating. So on this one year anniversary, I say thanks to all who helped in some capacity. And I thank God for every person who escaped the fire with their life. Indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment